Friday, October 3, 2008

Health Care Experiences

Hey, survivors, I need your help. I'm speaking to a group of doctors this month and I need to know about your experiences with health care providers. Your experience might be as extreme as a trip to the emergency room due to a domestic violence incident, or as subtle as a routine doctor's visit. Whatever it is, good or bad, I'd like to hear it.
How were you treated? Did someone ask you if you were safe? Did you reveal your situation? If so, what was the result? If not, what was the result? Is there something a health care provider could have done that would have helped you more? Is there something a health care provider did that made you feel more comfortable? Don't forget, if you'd like to be contacted to discuss it further, just leave your contact info. or e-mail me at kristasilentnomore@gmail.com.
Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this important work, Krista. A friend of mine presented at an emergency room in Charleston badly bruised when her husband beat her up. The doctor said "Well how do I know you weren't just in a bar fight?" She was floored and couldn't even answer him. I have been in ER's before and been screened in the same breath with "do you have lung cancer, diabetes, stroke, is anyone beating you up at home," all in the same breath, without ever looking me in the eye. I have NEVER been asked by a doctor (even with injuries that could have been caused by violence) if I am safe at home. It's great that they have begun to screen--but it's better that they do it with a little bit of compassion and understanding, or they might as well not bother, I'm afraid.

Krista Fink said...

Thanks so much! It's amazing what some people consider screening.

Anonymous said...

Hi Krista, Our local hospital offers victims an opportunity to talk with an advocate in a private setting before they leave the hospital. This enables the person to KNOW there is someone available in this county to talk with, ask questions and receive referrals to agencies for specific issues.
an advocate